As a Senior Mechanical Designer working within the Mechanical Engineering Department, you are responsible for implementing project-based designs and improvements to existing products in accordance with design plans.
Functions & Responsibilities
In the role of Senior Mechanical Designer:
- You will collaborate with various engineering functions (Electrical, Software, and Process) to develop product design methodologies, functional requirements, and provide concept through buy-off project support.
- You will create Electro/Mechanical product packaging designs with integrated PCB’s
- You will provide designs using a variety of materials, determine cost-effective tooling and manufacturing processes, while maintaining adherence to FCC, UL, other regulations, and guidelines.
- You will have a working knowledge of different materials and manufacturing processes including mill and turn, sheet metal and plastics forming, welding, casting and injection molding.
- You will create and modify Engineering Change Orders and Bills-of-Materials using CAD and MRP/ERP systems.
- You will provide design documentation using ASME Y14 Drafting Standards, datum structure, and GD&T. Must be able to provide accurate tolerance stack up analysis for design justification.
- You will deliver technical designs of product packaging that are optimized for cost, weight, manufacturability and assembly for both low and high rate production environments.
- You will be familiar with Design for Manufacturing (DFM) as well as Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (DFMEA).
- You will have experience with design for usability, reliability, design for experiments, test, verification and validation
- You will have familiarity with automation equipment and fixtures.
- You will have product development experience in medical devices, consumer products, industrial electronics or similar fields.
- You will be familiar with 3D printing technology and its use in product development.
- You will perform CAD and/or FEA simulation of concept designs and recommend design candidates.
- You will conduct technical design reviews and ensure compliance to standards (ASTM, ISTA, etc.).
The skills you need to succeed:
- You must have professional experience with 3D CAD Software, SOLIDWORKS preferred, creating models, assemblies, and drawings.
- You must have CAD Vault knowledge of systems and structure, SOLIDWORKS PDM preferred
- You must possess a self-motivated attitude and the ability to use initiative to solve problems and present solutions
- Able to work in a team environment.
Education and Experience of a successful candidate:
- A 4-year degree in a related engineering discipline or equivalent engineering experience.
- You must have 7+ years of experience designing mechanical components, enclosures and integrated electro / mechanical systems from concept through production validation.